There are high chances that you know someone who doesn’t like doing taxes, and it might be you. They don’t like:
- Compiling their documents
- Feeling anxious about taxes
- Doing the math
- Dealing with rude people or waiting in long lines
- Not being sure if they’ll owe money or not
- Being charged ridiculously by tax professionals
- or, the software that’s used to input the data
I’m sure you probably know someone who has one of the seven problems I’ve listed. Am I right? If that’s true, you’re in the right place. I’ll be reviewing TaxSlayer Tax Software. My goal is to help you decide whether this tax software is a good fit for you (or someone who might know). In this TaxSlayer review, I will give you:
- What it is
- How it works
- Pros and Cons
- What it does well and what it does not
- What others are saying (good and bad)
- My Recommendation
- And, Alternatives (in case you want to do some comparison shopping)
If you read until the end, and you still have unanswered questions, please leave them in the comments section below, and I’ll do my best to help answer your questions. If you decide at any point you want to skip the remainder of the review and TRY TAXSLAYER OUT FOR YOURSELF, you can CLICK HERE TO TRY IT OUT.
If this all sounds good, and you’re ready to get on to the review, let’s get started…
- 1 What is TaxSlayer? An Overview
- 2 How Does TaxSlayer Work?
- 3 How Do I Get Started with TaxSlayer?
- 4 Who is TaxSlayer For?
- 5 TaxSlayer Tools & Training
- 6 TaxSlayer Support
- 7 What Does TaxSlayer Do Well
- 8 What Doesn’t TaxSlayer Do Well
- 9 TaxSlayer Review Roundup
- 10 TaxSlayer Price
- 11 My Final Opinion of TaxSlayer
- 12 Top Alternatives
- 13 VERDICT: Recommend
- 14 ——————————————————-
- 15 Do You Know any Military Members? TaxSlayer Files Military Taxes FREE!!!
- 16 TaxSlayer
- 17 Pros
- 18 Cons
What is TaxSlayer? An Overview
How Does TaxSlayer Work?
During tax time, you’ll begin to recieve financial records from places you’ve done business:
- Your job
- Your investments
- Your schools
- Your daycare and childcare centers
- Your mortgage and loan companies
- Churches and charities
- and social services (if you’ve used them)
It’s important to put all of these documents aside somewhere safe because regardless of who does your taxes, they’ll need to reference these documents. If you decide to do your taxes with TaxSlayer, it will prompt you with questions to enter all of the necessary information from the documents you recieve to ensure you get the maximum refund or pay no more than what you should.
How Do I Get Started with TaxSlayer?
Customers say TaxSlayer is very simple to use. Doing your taxes with them can be broken down into these 6 steps:
1. Visit TaxSlayer’s Website
To get started you need to VISIT TAXSLAYER’S WEBSITE and select the “Get Started” button.
It will show a screen that looks like the one to your right here =============>>>>
You’ll need to enter the information to create your TaxSlayer Account.
3. Pick a Package
Regardless of the package you choose, you’ll be able to begin preparing your taxes for free, however, you still have to pick a package. If you have a simple tax return, you can file for free. Typical free filers have:
- May have children
- No HSAs or FSAs
- No investments
- and, they likely rent homes
If you don’t fall into the category of the free filing, you should expect to pay between $17 and $57 (depending on the support options you choose and the complexity of the forms you’ll need to file).
Other packages are more suitable for people who:
- Have rental properties
- Have an established estate
- Own a business or are self-employed
- or, those who have HSAs and FSAs
The other options TaxSlayer offers are: Classic, Premium, Self-Employed, and Ultimate. I’ll share more information on those later…
4. Uploading a PDF of Last Year’s Return
If you’ve used TaxSlayer before, it will import information from the previous year to make this year’s filing simple. If it’s your first year filing with TaxSlayer, you can upload a PDF of last year’s return, so it can import information for you.
Disclaimer: The free version doesn’t import information. If it’s your first year and you’re using the free version of TaxSlayer, you’ll have to manually enter your information. Manual entry shouldn’t be hard though because your overall tax return is very simple.
5. Follow the Prompts
After some information is inputted, TaxSlayer will ask you questions to identify tax credits and deductions, and help you to stay in compliance with the IRS.
After you’ve completed all of the prompts, you’ll need to electronically file. TaxSlayer has several added benefits you can bypass if you’d like, but some people appreciate the perks like:
- The refund advance
- Having the refund fees subtracted from their return
- or, having support from a tax pro
You can choose to addon these benefits for an added cost, or you can bypass them all–it’s up to you.
After you’ve filed your taxes electronically, you’re done. You just wait on your taxes to be processed.
Who is TaxSlayer For?
TaxSlayer is for:
- Military personnel who want to file their taxes for free
- People who have simple situations and want to file their taxes for free
- Those who want the lowest price and highest value tax software on the market
- Those who are looking for an alternative to the “normal way” they do taxes
- People who aren’t ready to hire a CPA or tax professional to file taxes for them
- Those who don’t want to go to a branch and would prefer filing taxes from home
- Those who are DIYers but just need the right tools
TaxSlayer Tools & Training
TaxSlayer offers a knowledge base to answer common tax questions.
They offer phone, live chat, a knowledge base, and email support.
What Does TaxSlayer Do Well
- TaxSlayer is simple to use
- They give step by step instructions
- Customers who have used the support staff have said they were very friendly
- The user experience of the site is complimented by many of the customers
- They are a great price for the value you recieve
- They are very responsive to customer feedback and are improving their services on-the-go
What Doesn’t TaxSlayer Do Well
- Like the H&R Block software, TaxSlayer customers who wanted to file for free were surprised when they didn’t fit the criteria. Maybe they can do better to inform customers of the target audience for free tax filing.
- Military customers who expect to file for free are surprised when they have to pay state fees or when they upgrade to premium packages and have to pay. Maybe TaxSlayer could be clearer about what’s included for the military free rate.
TaxSlayer Review Roundup
TaxSlayer Video Review
Common Positive Feedback
- The site is easy to use
- Many people are recurring users who have returned year after year
- They mention great customer service
- Affordable price
- High value for the money
- Helpful prompts
Common Negative Feedback
Some customers mention they were surprised by the additional fees. While TaxSlayer has been rated at the best value software on the market, they charge an additional $35 to have the filing fees deducted from your refund. To avoid the $35 fee, you’d pay the filing fees up front. Also, they customize your filing experience based on the input you give, so some customers who expected to file for free were upgraded because they didn’t qualify for free filing. The free filing is only for some situations; others will have to pay to file.
Most Helpful Positive TaxSlayer Review
One positive review that summarizes many of the others I’ve read was this one that says:
Have used taxslayer for several years
Have used taxslayer for several years. I do multiple tax returns for family. Site is easy to understand, easy to use and always provides the prompts to double check any possible opportunities.I Would recommend this site to anybody and I especially appreciate the fact that it is inexpensive.
Most Helpful Negative TaxSlayer Review
A customer on TrustPilot wrote this review that summarized many of the others who had a bad experience:
Surprise fees, only explained once everything is done. No customized customer service, clearly generic, automated responses that offer no help at all.
Taxslayer was the only site I have ever used. Will have to find a new one next year.
TaxSlayer responded to every negative review attempting to resolve issues with customers. In response to this customer, they said:
“Hi Jessica, We value our customers and while our rates were adjusted, we are still the best value in tax software, at up to 60% less than the competitors. We offer several levels of filing products, including Simply Free that allows you to file federal form 1040EZ and one state for $0. Once you enter the information associated with your tax return into the program, we determine the applicable IRS form as directed by IRS rules and regulations. In some cases, the required form may not be included in our free offer.
The $35 fee is for File & Go, not direct deposit. File & Go allows you to have your fees deducted from your refund. To avoid this charge you could pay for your fees with a credit card instead. The choice of charging your credit card or using File & Go has no bearing on the length of time it takes for your tax return to be filed or paid to you. Hope this helps!
Many responses from customer service are instructions from the IRS, which are the best instructions for filing IRS forms. You can also call customer service if you need these instructions explained. Our customer service number is 706-922-6741.”
TaxSlayer has 5 pricing options ranging from free to $57. The pricing breakdown looks like this…
My Final Opinion of TaxSlayer
Overall, TaxSlayer is a great alternative to hiring a CPA, filing manually, or using other software like H&R Block or TurboTax. They offer a high value for the price. The customer support seems overall very courteous, and majority of their customers seem highly satisfied. Quite a few of their customers reported being with them since they started or for consecutive years in a row with great satisfaction. If you’d like to give TaxSlayer a try, you can CREATE AN ACCOUNT and BEGIN INPUTTING YOUR INFORMATION for free.
If you decide you don’t like it, you can check out some of these alternatives…
H&R Block – H&R Block is a widely recommended software for filing taxes online