If you’re looking for a thorough SEMRush Review, you’re in the right place. Here, we’ll be discussing pros, cons, and alternatives, so you can decide if SEMRush is the appropriate software solution for your business.
Once you decide to get really serious about growing an online presence or generating leads using the internet, then it becomes very important to:
- Study the market to see what’s in demand
- Analyze your competition
- Stabilize your on-page and off-page SEO
- and, track the performance of your online marketing strategy
SEMRush is one of the most prominent tools for intermediate to advanced internet marketers, marketing agencies, and businesses who take their online marketing strategies seriously. In this review, we’ll be analyzing whether this tool is a good option for your business. I’ll be telling you:
- What it is
- How it works
- Pros and Cons
- What others are saying
- And, Alternatives (in case you want to do comparison shopping)
- 1 What is SEMRush? An Overview
- 2 How Does SEMRush Work?
- 3 How Do I Get Started with SEMRush?
- 4 Who is SEMRush For?
- 5 SEMRush Tools & Training
- 6 SEMRush Support
- 7 What Does SEMRush Do Well
- 8 What Doesn’t SEMRush Do Well
- 9 SEMRush Review Roundup
- 10 SEMRush Price
- 11 My Final Opinion of SEMRush
- 12 Top SEMRush Alternatives
- 13 VERDICT: Recommend
- 14 SEMRush Review
- 15 Pros
- 16 Cons
What is SEMRush? An Overview
SEMRush is an all-in-one SEO tools suite that provides relevant data to create a strategic marketing plan. It provides information such as:
- What keywords your competition is ranking for
- How many backlinks they have
- What their advertising campaigns look like
- Which social media campaigns have the most traction
- and more competitive analysis data
In addition to competitive analysis, SEMRush also provides:
- Keyword ideas that are relevant to your niche
- Rank tracking
- On page and off page SEO audits
- And, backlink auditing
How Does SEMRush Work?
SEMRush is quite robust, so it does take a learning curve to get used to. When you get started, you can add your websites or client’s websites as a project. You can link your social media accounts and Google Analytics, so it can pull accurate data for your reporting.
With the accounts linked and the data loaded, the software algorithms will provide recommendations for you. It will serve as a reputation management tool also because it will inform you of brand mentions and so on. SEMRush will tell you when edits need to be made on your site to improve your SEO with the audit feature. You can use it to find high demand and low supply keywords to get optimal rankings.
There’s alot of things you can do with SEMRush.
How Do I Get Started with SEMRush?
To get started with SEMRush, you would:
1. Visit their website
2. Enter your URL
3. Create your trial account
4. Explore the platform
5. Upgrade if you decide you like the software
Who is SEMRush For?
SEMRush is for:
- Intermediate to Advanced Internet Marketers
- Those who want to improve the results with their websites
- Businesses who want to oversee a marketing agency or staff
- Marketing agencies who want to track progress on SEO or SEM projects
- Or, those who want to provide Marketing analytic data and reports to others
SEMRush Tools & Training
SEMRush offers a knowledge base as well as some video and written tutorials to help with using the software.
SEMRush offers phone, knowledge base, live chat, and email support.
What Does SEMRush Do Well
- The software has high uptime
- They provide very relevant data individuals and agencies need to improve their marketing plans
- They frequently update the software
- They make it more efficient to gather analytic data
What Doesn’t SEMRush Do Well
- The data varies across similar tools and even in comparison to Google or Bing keyword planners
- Many people consider the pricing too high (especially for startup entrepreneurs and those new to online marketing)
- The interface isn’t the most user friendly
SEMRush Review Roundup
This is a compilation of the reviews from third party sites I’ve compiled to give you a realistic perspective of the benefits and limitations of SEMRush. The reviews are actually impressive! Here’s a glance at the Google search engine (on the day of this writing).
Common Positive Feedback
- Helps to get critical data to clients
- Provides lots of data very fast
- Helps to improve your content so your site ranks
- Helps to find collaboration and backlink opportunities
- Helps to spy on competitors
- You can run site audits
- You can track keywords and site progress
Common Negative Feedback
- Some of the ad spend data will not be accurate when compaing against client data
- Some of the keyword data will be off in comparison to Google keyword planner, Bing keyword planner, and manual tabulation
- Some projects may reuire multiple logins: Google Analytics, Webmaster tools, etc.
- Cluttered interface
- Challenging for some to navigate and understand the data
Most Helpful Positive SEMRush Review
What do you like best?
SEMrush puts all the tools you need to succeed in SEO at your fingertips. Their products stay up-to-date on the current trends in SEM. They offer training for new and current users and will even certify you in your SEO skills. We recently started using the listing management feature and this is a great tool.
What do you dislike?
Some of the tools (while handy) can be a little confusing. Not all keywords are included in a report. I find that I sometimes still have to run manual searches within Google to see the ranks of specific keywords or keyword phrases.
Recommendations to others considering the product:
Give it a try. They offer a free version with limited results. Getting full access to their tools is worth the money you will spend.
What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
Increasing search rankings for specific industry related keywords. Easy ranking reports sent right to my email on my schedule. Local listings and managing the company information across the web. The listing management tool does this all for you in one place.
Kelly, G2Crowd Reviewer
Most Helpful Negative SEMRush Review
I think SEMRush has way too much fluffy keyword data
I think SEMRush has way too much fluffy data and poor keywords listed as branded and non-branded keywords. This service also lacks historical data related to keywords available from other similar keyword research tools, which is very useful for advanced keyword research. After comparing SEMRush to other keyword and backlink research resources, I would never recommend SEMRush to any SEO specialists, but it may be okay for SEM experts. It’s called SEMRush, not SEORush….
Brett, TrustPilot reviewer
SEMRush has 4 pricing plans that break down like this:
You can save money by going annual.
My Final Opinion of SEMRush
SEMRush is one of the tools the best internet marketers I know use to advise and manage marketing plans for themselves and others. It provides great data for a wide variety of business scenarios when search engine marketing is being used. I think if you want to level-up your search engine marketing, social media, or do competitive analysis, you should at least try the SEMRush free trial.
Top SEMRush Alternatives
If you’re looking for alternatives to manage social media or brand mentions, analyze competitors, find keyword opportunities, and improve the effeciveness of your marketing online, these are some top recommended alternatives: both paid and free.
- Ahrefs – Ahrefs has many similar features as SEMRush, however, it’s known to be more accurate with the backlink and keyword data.
- Spyfu – Spyfu is a more affordable option to get similar competitive analysis data as what you’d get in SEMRush. You can check out my full Spyfu review and demo.
- SE Ranking – SE Ranking is a great tool for on-page SEO audits and rank tracking at an affordable price. You can check out my full SE Ranking review here.
- Jaaxy – Jaaxy is a keyword research, search analysis and rank tracking tool that’s very affordable. You can check out my full Jaaxy review and demo here.
- eClincher – eClincher is a social media management tool that has many reputation management features to help you track brand management and analytics to monitor your online presence on social media. Check out my full eClincher review here.
- Great analytics
- High customer satisfaction ratings
- Market leader for SEO tools for professionals
- The data differs from comparable tools and even from Google and Bing keyword planners
- Takes a learning curve to get used to
- Some customers complain that it's too complex