If you’re looking for a thorough Rocket Lawyer review, you’re in the right place. I’ll be sharing pros, cons, and alternatives to help you decide if this is a good fit for you.
Boundaries in relationships are important. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to decide on appropriate legal and ethical boundaries in some situations, and there’s bad advisors who can make things even worse! You don’t want to run into ugly legal messes, so it’s best to find a good legal service that can help you navigate questionable circumstances.
Not all legal services are created equally! Some work independently and are trying to squeeze every dollar they can, so they can eat their choice steak or drive the cars of their dreams. While it’s okay for everyone to get the chance to “live the life”, you don’t want to be taken advantage of for someone else’s selfish gain.
If you’re here, it’s likely, you’re looking for a legal solution, and you don’t want to be exploited by some selfish scammer or mislead by a bad lawyer. You may have tried alternative legal services before, and you want to see if Rocket Lawyer is a viable fit for you.
In this Rocket Lawyer review, I’ll be sharing:
- The backstory on Rocket Lawyer
- What they offer
- How it works
- Pros and Cons
- What they’re good and bad at
- and, what type of person it’s best for
Before I get started, I want to mention that if you’re ever antsy as you’re reading, and you want to go and give Rocket Lawyer a try, you can SIGN UP FOR A 14-DAY FREE TRIAL HERE.
Let’s continue on to the Rocket Lawyer review…If you’d like to see this review in video, check it out here…
- 1 What is Rocket Lawyer? An Overview
- 2 How Does Rocket Lawyer Work?
- 3 How do I Get Started with Rocket Lawyer?
- 4 Who is Rocket Lawyer For?
- 5 Rocket Lawyer Tools & Training
- 6 Rocket Lawyer Support
- 7 What Does Rocket Lawyer Do Well
- 8 What Doesn’t Rocket Lawyer Do Well
- 9 Rocket Lawyer Review Roundup
- 10 Rocket Lawyer Price
- 11 My Final Opinion of Rocket Lawyer
- 12 Top Alternatives
- 13 VERDICT: Recommend
- 14 Rocket Lawyer
- 15 Pros
- 16 Cons
What is Rocket Lawyer? An Overview
Rocket Lawyer is an online legal service that offers access to customizable documents and attorneys for advice. Included in the premium membership, you get:
- 2 free attorney document reviews per month and a 30-minute consultation with each
- Unlimited 30-minute legal consultations for first-time legal issues
- Unlimited free legal documents to customize
- Help with incorporating your business
- The “Ask a Lawyer” service you can use by phone or by mobile with responses in 1-2 business days
How Does Rocket Lawyer Work?
Rocket Lawyer works by making legal care affordable and accessible. Without a similar service that serves as the mediator between the consumer and the law office, consumers sometimes feel like there’s little continuity in the industry regarding pricing, consult structure, or expectations. Rocket Lawyer offers continuity for consumers so you’ll know:
- How to consult a lawyer about the problem you have – You’d log onto your device or mobile app and use the “Ask a lawyer” feature
- You have a general idea of the starting price – the first consultation will be free with membership
- You know additional consultation will be discounted – Additional consults are 40% off
- There’s a huge knowledge base so you can do research to have a general idea of how your situation may be handled (which can hugely cut the necessity of large consulting times)
- and, you’re not shopping around for an attorney to solve each specialized issue you might have – The directory contains most specialties
How do I Get Started with Rocket Lawyer?
Getting started with Rocket Lawyer is easy. These are the general steps to get started with legal services at Rocket Lawyer:
1. Choose Your Service or Create Your Account
First, you’ll have to decide whether you want to create an account or simply buy a one-time service. Rocket Lawyer offers customers the option to buy any of their customizable forms, or to get legal consultation without a membership.
If you decide to try the membership, you enter basic personal information (including billing information), then you can begin your 7 Day Free Trial.
2. Start a New Activity
Once you’re inside of Rocket Lawyer, you’ll be able to complete four actions: create a document, upload a document, ask a lawyer, and incorporate a business.
- Create a Document – With Rocket Lawyer, you’re given hundreds of legal templates that you can customize.
- Upload a Document – You can either upload a document or send a customized agreement to customers and have them “Rocket Sign”. Similar to Docusign or similar electronic signature services, Rocket Lawyer enables you to have electronic and time-stamped e-signatures on your legal agreements, and it stores all of them in one location!
- Ask a Lawyer – As a premium member of Rocket Lawyer, you can have unlimited 30-minute legal consultations for first-time issues. If the 30-minute consultation isn’t sufficient for your concern, then you get a 40% discount when you hire an attorney from the Rocket Lawyer directory.
- Incorporate a Business – Rocket Lawyer also helps with business incorporation. One of the scariest parts of incorporating a business is deciding whether you’re completing the legal documents “right”. With Rocket Lawyer, you get to use their technology to help you complete the documents and you can use legal advice as much as you want.
3. Complete the Activity
To begin creating a document, you’ll have to choose from their library aand begin customizing. They have the documents divided by categories like: starting a business, running a business, etc.
For legal counsel, you’d select the “ask a lawyer” function and it will ask you questions to decide who the appropriate specialty is, and how they should contact you (by phone or email).
Uploading a document on Rocket Lawyer words similar to anywhere else. You select “upload documet”, then you select the document from your computer, or you drag and drop.
Incorporating a business with Rocket Lawyer works similarly to customizing other documents. They ask questions about jurisdiction, then they’ll ask sufficient questions to complete the form.
Who is Rocket Lawyer For?
Rocket Lawyer is perfect for:
Professionals who want the peace of mind knowing they have a legal counselor when they need them
Business owners who need legal counsel, and could benefit from the membership access and additional discounts
Professionals (like business consultants and HR specialists) who advise businesses, but want to make sure their advising well (from a legal perspective)
People who want have professional personal forms like:
- Estate Plans
- Marriage or Divorce agreements
- Custody agreements
- Promissory notes or loan agreements
Rocket Lawyer Tools & Training
Rocket Lawyer offers a sizeable knowledge base where you can find answers to many of your legal questions and concerns. They have the knowledge base categorized by situations like:
- Starting a business
- Running a business
- Hiring an employee
- Home ownership
- Debt collection
- and more…
Here’s what it looks like…
Rocket Lawyer Support
I’ve personally used Rocket Lawyer support and I can attest to the quality and speed of their customer service. They offer customer service support to help with:
- billing issues
- technical issues
- and, general questions
You can get support by phone, live chat, or by email. Rocket Lawyer support are not attorneys, so you’d have to use the “Ask a Lawyer” function for legal advice.
What Does Rocket Lawyer Do Well
- Rocket Lawyer makes it very easy to connect with a legal advisor
- They make it easy to know what forms are required for various life situations, and they make it simple to complete them
- They have a very simple user interface that’s easy to ue
- It’s easy to ask a question to a lawyer or support personnel
- and, it’s also easy to end the service if you don’t want it anymore
What Doesn’t Rocket Lawyer Do Well
- If you always want to hear from the same lawyer, Rocket lawyer may not provide continuity like that
- If you want to e-sign forms that you’ve made at other places, you’ll have to use another service. The Rocket sign feature is only e-signatures on documents created out of Rocket Lawyer.
- They don’t remind free trial subscribers they’ve signed up or they’re bill payment date is coming soon
- They don’t store documents or give previous subscribers a way to access documents they’ve previously created
Rocket Lawyer Review Roundup
Review about Rocket Lawyer on Call:
Rocket Lawyer Review of General Services:
Rocket Lawyer Incorporation Services:
Out of 954 reviews on TrustPilot, 83% of the reviews were 5-stars. In summary, here’s some details on the good and bad things people said about Rocket Lawyer.
Common Positive Feedback
Many customers appreciate the ease of:
- Accessing attorneys
- Hiring attorneys for supplemental counsel
- Asking questions
- Creating and customizing documents
Common Negative Feedback
Previous customers who weren’t happy with their experience wih RocketLawyer say:
- They forgot they signed up until they were billed
- They had difficulty stopping the billing
- They were unable to access their forms after they stopped the subscription
Most Helpful Positive Rocket Lawyer Reviews
“Best Legal Document site I have…”
“Best Legal Document site I have visited. I like the feature that allows me to buy one time documents without having to be chained to a membership. The output is clean, to the point and very complete.
Congratulations on making it easy to use your site.”
Most Helpful Negative Rocket Lawyer Reviews
“Avoid Like a Plague”
“Started out well as they seemed to cover all the documents we needed as a business. I’ll hold my hand up in that I completely forgot to cancel the trial but RocketLawyer were very underhanded in that they never once sent me an invoice or news letter reminding me I was subscribed to the the service. On top of that I can no longer access the documents I created during the time I was a paying member – the website prompts me to sign up and start paying again. To add insult to injury I got a call from the fraud prevention department at my bank asking me if I wanted to approve a payment to RocketLawyer – well after I cancelled my subscription. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!”
Rocket Lawyer Price
Non-members can pay for forms and services individually, and they won’t be obligated to a monthly commitment. The pricing chart looks like this…
For people who know they’ll want to use the service regularly, they should SIGN UP FOR A 7-DAY FREE TRIAL! Monthly billing is $39.99/month after the trial period.
My Final Opinion of Rocket Lawyer
I recommend you try the service by either: 1.) Purchasing the documents you need without signing up for the membership, or 2.) Creating a trial account and setting a reminder for yourself when the trial is over.
You don’t have to become a member! You can get consultation and forms on a case-by-case basis, however, if you know you’ll need recurring legal advice, Rocket Lawyer premium membership is something you should consider. Don’t forget that if you decide to become a member, and you aren’t truly satisfied with the service, then cancel BEFORE the trial is over!
If you’re satisfied, be prepared for billing seven days after the trial is started. Also, make sure the documents you create during your subscription are downloaded and stored safely because Rocket Lawyer will not keep your forms or maintain them after your subscription is over.
LegalNature – More Cost Effective, but only for forms
LegalShield – Similar pricing, but only for Consultation
Good Suite of Legal Products9.0/10
Ease of Use9.0/10
Good Website User Experience9.0/10
Overall Customer Satisfaction (Based on Reviews)9.5/10
- Useful service
- Great customizable legal templates
- Legal advice and legal forms
- 40% Discount on legal services not included in membership
- Good reputation
- They don't invoice customers before the trial is over to inform them of upcoming billing
- They don't store forms after subscription cancellation